Thursday, July 08, 2010

SandSafety.


It's summer and I have two boys who love to dig, dCheck Spellingig , dig. This is my friend Stacey's story about sand, her then three year old son, and a miracle. Yes, I said miracle. Please visit her blog and read the story. Then teach your children these valuable lessons about sand. The water is not the only scary thing at the beach. You can read Stacey's story here , with links to her original posts.

1. When you arrive at the beach, always check nearby for any holes left by others, and fill them in.
2. Do not dig holes any deeper than knee-high of the shortest person in your group. Yeah, I know this sounds extreme. If this feels more extreme than your group can accommodate then perhaps you can at least stop at waist-high.
3. If you do dig holes, fill them in before you leave. The hole my son fell in had been left by other children.
4. Make sure any children you go to the beach with know that holes and trenches can be dangerous, and that they should let you know if they see any abandoned holes.

We love the beach and I think we are reasonably safe when we go. But even we sometimes forget the rules about sand. Please remind the people that you love too.

3 comments:

jane said...

Incredible. We were at Golden Gardens just last night, and there were two huge craters in the sand, which my kids were playing in, of course. I found them distrubing because a kid could completely disappear from sight in them, but a collapse never occurred to me. You're just full of disturbing and life-saving advice!

CzaMama said...

Thanks for this post, and I'm so happy that little guy was okay.

earthchick said...

Thanks for posting this! :)