
Yesterday was Skull-a-palooza 09, in other words, Crusty's 11th birthday. I know I say this every year, but how does this happen? How can he possibly be 11 years old? That means I must be??? nevermind. About the party, Crusty requested a Haunted Mountain cake, with railroad, swamp and caves. Easy! Ha! This particular cake was no less than 6 batches. Two of pound cake and 4 of pumpkin thunnder cake ( the recipe is over there ------> on the side bar.) Plus two batches of cocoa cream cheese frosting. 35 mini sugar skulls, one pound of tylose gum paste, one poured sugar swamp. It weighed about 40 lbs.
The boys made a cast of characters to populate the cake, some creatures, some monsters and one giant salamander. All from gum paste. The baking took about 5 hours ( done last week) the decorating tool another 4 or 5.
We made slime.
We stored it in individual specimen cups.
Dug in the disgusting pit of gelatin for candy bags.
And took it all home in personalized bio bags. But not before the largest gelatin fight in history.

Everyone went home with a Crusty designed t-shirt too. ( Crusty's Mom and step dad were up all night getting them printed, but they were a big success!
Recipes we used:
Elvis's Favourite Pound Cake.
Pumpkin Thunder Cake.
Cocoa Cream Cheese Frosting.
Gum Paste.
Mexican Sugar Skulls.
Slime!
There are some more pictures over at Flickr. I'm off to clean the gelatin off the lawn now. ( I am using the term lawn very loosley. More like field grass and mud really.)
8 comments:
Amazing! Once again you leave me speechless! I hope Duncan enjoyed his party
Elvis' favorite pound cake -- why am I not surprised? It was amazing. Cool slime. Good luck with that gelatin. How's Ringo feeling?
I was worried about Ringo since he was loving the gelatin.
The cake, the slime, the party...everything AMAZING!!!!
Heidi and I had way too much fun with the slime. I think the kids enjoyed it too. :-)
Wonderful party. I cannot believe he is 11 either. Sigh.
You are an inspiration and terrific Mom Carmen.
whoa- Carmen, you take the cake on that one! where do they come up with these ideas? sounded delicious and disgusting all together!
AMAZING!!! Brilliant!!! I would have loved to hear all the, "oohs" and "ahhs," when people saw it. You are the best mom EVER!
Another success! It looks great!
I would like my birthday cake to be a recreation of a viking raid on a monastery, please.
You have some talent there, geez.
Anytime House, is there a particular monastery you have in mind? Longship with square sail or the smaller faering?
Post a Comment